Wednesday, June 9, 2010
May 18, 2010
The meeting was called to order at 6:23 by President Debbie Seifert. Debbie welcomed everyone and led the Pledge of Allegiance. The meeting started late in hopes that other members would join us.
Linda Cagle, our Treasurer, was running late so Debbie approximated the balance of the bank account to be $1011.00 as of the 1st of May. Debbie is now on the bank account and was issued a Debit Card.
Barbara League volunteered to be the Second Vice President. Voted and passed unanimously.
Blue Star Mothers National Convention: The Convention will be held in Grand Junction, Colorado on August 14th, 2010. National requested each Chapter send a representative. Debbie volunteered to represent us unless someone else would like to go. It was also requested that each Chapter donate an item or items, including a State basket for the Silent Auction. There was some discussion as to what to include, but it was tabled until the June meeting.
VFW Riders: Debbie will get in touch with the President and will report back. There were many ideas discussed as to how we can participate and support.
Treasurer’s Report: Linda arrived and reported the bank balance at $1021.54.
Debbie received a book written by Janice Schmidt, “My Soldier, Seeing the basics through a Mother’s Eyes.” It has a great deal of information for the mother whose children have recently enlisted. Linda made a motion that we purchase at least two copies to lend, or sell, to members that would be interested. Motion was seconded and passed.
Our meeting was closed at 7:30 with the Serenity Prayer.
Respectfully Submitted on June 9th, 2010.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Blue Star Mothers Meeting
April 20, 2010
Jacqueline Steele welcomed all members. The meeting was called to order at 6:04pm. Jacqueline Steele led the Pledge of Allegiance.
The first order of business was the induction of our new officers – Jacqueline passed the gavel to Debbie Seifert as President, and Chrissy Harlan as our 1st Vice President.
We introduced ourselves to the prospective-new member, Gabby Mercer. Gabby’s daughter is a Marine that has been recently deployed to Afghanistan.
1. Jacqueline thanked the Junior League and reported the service project, Pack a Box for the Troops, was a great success with 13 boxes filled and shipped. Several Blue Star members attended the packing. Every Blue Star member’s child, regardless of where they are serving, received a box. Junior League has expressed an interest in doing the project again next year.
2. Gold Star Banner. Vicki presented our dear friend, Lois, with the Gold Star Banner.
1. Transition- expanding the Board. The Board would like to add a 2nd Vice President as well as a Financial Secretary to help organize and assist. We also discussed the possibility of adding Trustees to audit the books quarterly such as the VFW Women’s Auxiliary has done for years.
2. Funds that had been donated to Jacqueline from various sources but not yet deposited were passed to Debbie Seifert.
3. Chaplain Fund. All the chapters have been asked to donate $25.00 to the Chaplain Fund.
4. Chapter Historian. Vicki Payne nominated Jeanne Varns, an Associate Member, to be the Chapter Historian. The nomination was seconded by Chrissy Harlan and passed.
5. Spring Package event. Chrissy Harlan is going to get information from Kim Sloan and pass it along.
6. Blue Star National Convention in Colorado. National requires at least one member from each chapter attend. Debbie Seifert will attend but extended the invitation for others to join her.
7. Chrissy Harlan advised us of the sudden passing of Loren “Corky” Gripp. Corky was the Commander of the VFW, prompting the need for a Chaplain from our midst. Vicki will get a sympathy card sent to Corky’s wife for the Blue Star Mothers.
8. Open and close of meetings. Bylaws require that we open with the Pledge of Allegiance and close with a prayer.
Debbie shared some pictures of banners that her cousin, David England, quilts specifically for the Blue Star Mothers. For further information, contact email@example.com.
The meeting was closed at 7:18 pm with a prayer read by Jacqueline Steele.
April 24, 2010
Saturday, February 27, 2010
This will be linked permanently in "Links of Interest" on the right side of the page.
Greetings from BuildASign.com!
We are asking for your help in spreading the word about a free offer that over 60,000 military friends and family have taken advantage of so far. BuildASign.com is giving away Free Banners to military families for their welcome home celebrations at www.BuildASign.com/Troops. Please help us out by forwarding this link out to your organization: Free Welcome Home Banners
Here at BuildASign.com, we are very proud of the continued service and sacrifice that our military personnel selflessly provide every day. To express our support of our brave men and women in uniform, we want to invite you to take part in our free "Welcome Home" banner promotion.
Beginning in July 2008, we began offering free "Welcome Home" banners to the friends and family of members of the armed services coming home from overseas. To date, we have given away over 60,000 banners. All banners can be customized in full color, including pictures; all we ask is that the customer pay the shipping and handling fee, usually about $13.