Blue Star Mothers Meeting
Debbie Seifert welcomed everyone and called to order at . Debbie led the Pledge of Allegiance.
The Minutes of the September 25th meeting were read and approved. The Treasurer’s Report was not given.
Old Business –
- Banner - After discussing several quotes on having a banner made and whether or not to purchase it in time for the Veteran’s Day Parade, a motion was made by Helen Quigley and seconded by Barbara League to order a 3ftx6ft banner from Fast Signs for a price not to exceed $200.00. Barbara will email the Official Blue Star Mothers (hereinafter called BSMs) Logo to Vicki Payne who will order the banner imprinted with the Official BSMs Logo in red and blue, Blue Star Mothers in blue and Arizona Chapter 2 in red.+
- Veteran’s Parade, November 11th – The VFW float is 7ftx17ft. Those Blue Star Families who wish to join the VFW on the float or walk with the float should meet at the VFW before on Monday to carpool to the parade site. Bring a dish to share is you wish to participate in the VFW Open House.
- Wild Oats on Speedway, November 3rd, 10:00am-12:00noon – Call Kelly Prust, Manager of Wild Oats, to let her know you will be there to help pack boxes to send the our Troops. Wild Oats is also taking care of all the postage.
- Committee Sign-ups – Sign-up sheets were passed around and attendees were urged to sign-up for one or more of the following committees:
- Courageous Tigers – Fund Raising.
- Flying Eagles – Letters and correspondence.
- Gentle Lambs – Emotional/moral support.
- Industrious Ants – Community service.
New Business –
- Events Calendar - Vicki will add an “Events Calendar” to our website. Linda Cagle will e-mail the the BSMs requesting information to add to the Calendar.
- Membership and Dues - Dues of $10.00 are due by
January 1, 2008. Debbie Miller will have renewal forms at the November meeting.
ACTION: Review “mass” email list and remove those emails that are not “paid” members of BSMs.
- Fund Raising - Bonnie Hall has “Support Our Troops” magnets to purchase for $3.00 each.
- New Life Health Food Store – Talked to Asst. Manager who suggested calling Wednesday, October 31st to speak with the Manager regarding donation of gift certificates for BSMs.
- Dr. Weiss, Dentist, has dental floss and toothbrushes to donate to our Troops.
- Bonnie also talked with lady in Service Department at Foothills Mall about setting up a booth to hand out brochures informing the public about who we are and what we are doing. Bonnie should know more on this on Wednesday, October 31st.
- 285th Homecoming in January/February 2008 – Kim Sloan said FRG would like have people line the street from the Pinal Airport Exit off I-10 all the way to the Armory to greet the Troops. There will be some type of food, something for the children to do while waiting. More information will be available at a later date.
- Thank you cards and Certificates - Barbara League received a donation of 20 certificates from Chris Jaeger, Quikprint.
ACTION: BSMs still does not have official “thank you” cards. A thank you card should be sent.
HolidayParade and Festival, December 8th – Parade of Lights. More on this in November.
- Election of Officers, January – A Nominating Committee will be chosen in November.
- Christmas Party, No December meeting – Golden Corral and Hometown Buffet were suggested. Golden Corral has free postcards to send to our Troops.
ACTION: Debbie Miller will email a survey to everyone for their thoughts and/or recommendations. Discussion and decision on party will be made at the November meeting.
Guest Speakers – Barbara and Kimberlee from
Kimberlee (829-5800) offered to attach special labels to the catalogs informing prospective buyers of the purpose of the fundraiser.
Barbara (407-6023) said if we need a lot of a particular item quickly to let her know and she will contact
DebbieS thanked Barbara and Kimberlee for the box of lip balm
Carol Herndon volunteered to coordinate the
- Roxanne received a donation of several boxes of handmade felt/fabric Western-style boots each filled with lip balm, eye drops, etc. for our Troops. The boots were made by an 11-year old girl named Haley Roberts (Ron Roberts – Cell 269-3498, Home 225-0590). Haley also wrote a letter to enclose with the boots which Roxanne copied to go in each box.
Roxanne will give Crissy Harlan a copy of the letter.
ACTION: DebbieS asked that a thank you card be sent to her.
- Helen Quigley received a donation of about 20 frisbees from the
, Grand Canyon Association, Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center P.O.Box 399, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023, (928) 643-7298.
ACTION: A thank you should be sent.
- Bonnie Hall volunteers at the Oro Valley Library and after their recent book sale the Library donated leftover books to be sent to our Troops.
General Discussion –
- Carol Herndon displayed several patriotic “travel” mugs. The ceramic mugs are available for $15.00, $1.00 of which will be donated to the BSMs.
- Vicki Payne mentioned T-shirts that can be imprinted with your soldier’s photo and verbiage of your choice for only $7.00 for the transfer. You supply the T-shirt. See Vicki for more information.
- Debbie Seifert mentioned the Gift Emporium as a possible fund raiser. If BSMs shop at any of the stores listed on their website, they donate a portion of the sale to BSMs organization.
ACTION: DebbieS send Gift Emporium link to Vicki.
- Kim Sloan – Dollar Tree stores are putting boxes out November 1st for donations to send to our Troops for the Christmas Holiday. VFW will be meeting November 18th at at the Valencia Armory near
for a potluck and to pack 1,000 stockings to be shipped to our soldiers and their units. There will be cards to decorate as well as turkeys to be delivered to needy military families. Pima Air Museum
- BonnieLee’s students are sending boxes to BSMs soldiers and to anysoldier.com.
- “Operation Message”, November 13th and 14th - The Red Cross is making appointments in 15-minute increments and will make a video for families/friends to send to their deployed soldier. Ask for Cheryl Bender and she will transfer your call to the appropriate party. They are also doing cards for Troops if you donate blood.
- Lynn Jones had a block party and got over $800.00 in donations from her neighbors to buy things for the Troops. She is planning to be at Wild Oats on Saturday, November 3rd.
The meeting adjourned at after the Serenity Prayer.